Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Dixieland Delight..

It had been 14 plus years and it was finally time to say goodbye to my first baby. My first ever 'all me' dog. I was there when she was born and made sure she was mine. I had to talk other people into a different dog, we hid her from people, and made sure that she was going home with me!
She was named after Alabama's song Dixieland Delight. I'll never forget her sweet smile and her tenacious attitude. She was quite the guard dog all through college and through the first 7 years of our marriage. She was the reason we got Gauge. She needed a playmate. She needed to have puppies.. and she did!
I must find my older pictures and scan them in so I can remember her as a baby and when she grew up and had puppies. Dixie survived through so much included being hit by a car where me and my dad took her to the A&M Vet school to stay overnight. She also had mastitis and other birthing problems that were not fun and I'm sure very painful. Dixie was loved so much by our family, and the kids were sad to see her go. They are sweet and mention her and Gauge often. I miss having a dog to clean the floor or bark when someone rings the doorbell. She was a wonderful friend and kept me company on many nights. She used to love to sleep in my bed or cozy up on the couch. We had a hard time breaking her of that habit once we didn't want her to do that anymore! Thank you Dixie dog for 14 wonderful years. You are missed! You will be impossible to replace and you are prayed for..The kids say you are in heaven chasing after Gauge and barking at him like you used to always do, eventhough you didn't really want to fetch anything you just wanted to bark at Gauge! We love you!

No comments: