Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Blackberry Pickin'

We headed out last week with Carrie and Jackson to our favorite farm to pick some blackberries. They were more sparse than last year but we were still able to get plenty and have fun doing it! The girls were not as helpful because there was thorns but still enjoyed eating plenty of them. G would not let anyone else carry her box and I was so afraid she was going to trip and they would all roll everywhere, but we made it safely! We also picked some strawberries..they were pitiful and tiny but that didn't stop the girls from eating and picking those too. Emmaline definitely prefers strawberries and G was game for both! After we left the farm we headed back home for lunch. We decided on the Boardwalk on Bulverde..it is a group of airstream trailers that sell different foods. It is BYOB and has a sandbox and playset for kids. They have a movie night and live music on others. It was fun, but definitely warm with the sun...we can't wait to go back! I was bent on surprising my dad with something blackberry related..one of his favorites, so after discussion and circumstance, I decided on jelly! Get all those pesky seeds out of there, you know?! I had one morning to finish a batch and thought it would be a cinch..after all I can make jelly easily! Well, these little berries gave me a run for my money..I didn't have the proper utensils for the job and it took me forever squishing those berries. The girls helped and had fun tasting their hard work. I had to borrow a mesh strainer from a neighbor which happened to be a whole 2 inches in diameter. Eventually, I got a whopping 2 jars out of our pickings and got to surprise my dad with them! I think it actually turned out really yummy..tart but just sweet enough!
So, next time I know to pick a lot of berries and have the right strainer to use! But it was a fun learning experience and I hope my dad gets to enjoy the jelly!

No comments: