Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Jeep

The first car I drove was a Jeep. I learned how to drive stick on that baby blue Jeep Wrangler and loved to drive around town with the top and doors off blaring all my favorite tapes! One I vividly remember is Baby Got Back. That is a fun song to sing to! I used to 'borrow' the Jeep before I had my license and drive around my neighborhood practicing on the stick.
My grandma actually won the Jeep in a contest at a drug store in Alabama. She kindly gave it over to the family for all of our running around on our land in Mississippi. We would go mudding in it through the 'Megas' and stand up holding on for dear life. While my dad drove on the dirt roads we would stand on the back bumper and pretend we were trashmen. He would stop the Jeep and we hopped off and picked up any trash we could find. It was so much fun! I'm sure it was super safe.
Eventually, my brother and I got to drive it as our first cars. I am sure he has plenty of fond memories of it too. Now that Jeep is back in Mississippi and my girls are getting to ride in the backseat with the wind in their hair. I am thankful they get to experience some of my favorite memories too.
I wish I had a picture on my computer of it. Me and my friends used to drive to Lake Somerville, go mudding, use the winch to get ourselves out of it and cram lots of people and stuff in there. The stories go on and on.
The reason I even am recalling all of this is because of this flashback/flashforward I recently had...my girls..driving in a jeep..in their swimsuits..with the music so loud they couldn't hear what we were yelling at them..top down and smiles on their faces. And even a little wet from the waterhose (I did get caught in a rainstorm on a few occasions)!So now I am trying to decide if I hope my girls have a fun Jeep to drive when they are 16 or if I'm praying they just want their Mommy to drive them around everywhere...but I'm not ready to think about that just yet! "Girls, where on earth have you been? Get inside and get cleaned up before you catch cold and your father sees you!"

No comments: