Sunday, September 15, 2013

#aggiesvsbama #BTHOBama #RMFT

SO the game of the year finally happened. The much anticipated third weekend of college football came and now went. And it did not disappoint!!
At least not in the way most people mean. I have a semi-unique position in that I was rooting for both teams. How can that be, I mean, really, how can that be? It is tricky. And up until last year it really wasn't an issue.
The Aggies could play all season in the Big 12 and Bama was sitting pretty in the SEC..all was good! Then things had to get all willy-nilly last season and my two worlds collided.

Daniel and I were very excited about the Aggies entering the SEC and what it would mean for our school. We loved the idea of them playing teams we got to know better when we lived in the heart of the SEC when we were first married. And Bama football is so exciting to watch especially being in Tuscaloosa!!
Everything changed last year though. Johnny Football was the Aggies new QB and was on fire. He was leading the Aggies to amazing wins, excited games and just some jaw dropping, nail biting plays. It was time to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa. My whole family went to the game, but we couldn't make the drive, so we had some friends in town staying with us and geared up for an exciting game.
Seriously, I knew the Aggies with JFF's help would do good. I hoped it would be close and we wouldn't make a fool of ourselves. But I will be honest and say, I never truly thought the Aggies would upset the Tide on their own turf. It wasn't going to happen..so I was just ready to watch a fun game.

Well, hell! I was wrong and I was stunned. Literally me and Daniel were speechless and couldn't really believe or enjoy the Aggies beating Alabama that fateful Saturday in 2012. But it did happen.

I had never been more happy I wasn't at a football game in all my life. I KNOW that my family members, who shall remain nameless, were so upset, sore losers, in disbelief at what occurred. I mean I was just sitting on my couch at home, completely sober...not even going to try and imagine the scene in T-town that night.

So it has been a long year coming. The Tide (with everyone else in the world) has been waiting for their chance to right the wrong, to fix the mistakes, to show that they were true deserving champions. Even though the Tide won the National Championship game it still stung. Even in the offseason when Johnny Football won the Heisman (such a wonderful and strangely proud moment for me), caused all kinds of commotion with his Twitter comments and got suspended for the 1st half of the 1st game for questions of selling his autographs, the rematch has always been the talk of the town.

And it happened and it was great. I was so nervous in the weeks leading up to the game. Would it live up to the hype, would Manziel play, would the Tide really be able to show out? I heard the town was crowded and the noise level was better than ever. It started out so similar to last year. My mom even called with panic in her voice...what do I do? How will we get through if they don't win? (Yes, Mom I had to out you.) Then Bama settled down and played their hearts out. And you know what? So did the Aggies!! They hung in there to make it an awesome, memorable game. We invited a few friends over, cooked some more dove and snacked, talked and enjoyed the game from the safety of our own home, again. Tide won 49-42 over the Aggies. And I almost picked that exact score on my Pick 'Em just so you know!
My family was all there again. And I know my dad and brothers were happy to be in Kyle Field and get to yell, "We just beat the hell outta you!" at the end of the game as is customary for the Tide when they beat their opponents.
So here's my truth. And ya'll I'm just writing this to be able to look back and remember it from my perspective, using the slang terms we use and see written and so I can really feel the way it was... I feel more comfortable that Alabama won, like it's the way it's supposed to be. I needed the Aggies to play amazing and for #2 to do his thing and make some great plays. And that happened as well. I picked the Aggies to win on my pick 'em, but really only on the off chance they won so I could get the extra points. But I didn't really think or expect them to win again...So the Tide rolled and it felt right. Now if the Aggies could pull off a miracle and some other teams could falter this season where they play again for the National Championship, then I would love that, but again I would be so torn.
Here's to my two favorite teams in the world: My Aggies, whose ring I wear everyday with pride and the Tide, the team I grew up cheering for and watching in the rain. I will never grow tired of watching you play, even against each other! And I will let my babies choose which school they want to cheer for and where they want to attend, but don't think there won't be some brainwashing going on over here! And if you don't agree with what I'm saying, that's ok. I'm ok with that, but maybe, just maybe one of you can relate!

No comments: