Sunday, January 22, 2012

Moving on and moving up

We are finally getting settled here in the Valley.
So far we haven't done much except unpack and try to get rid of as many boxes as we can. We are doing really well considering we have 3 helpers who turn out don't really help so much.
The kids have done good about obeying the rules about the pool. I'm still trying to figure out how to best keep them out of it (locks on different doors wise)..I know it will get more tricky once they can actual get in the water during warmer weather. The dogs finally got in because we threw the ball in for Gauge to fetch. I'm not sure they really cared about it, but the weather has been so nice here. In June when it's 105 degrees I'm sure they will love it! We will all love it!! The dogs have loved the grass though, which sounds ridiculous but we had virtually no grass in the last house so I guess they are revelling in it.
{living room looking into kitchen -you can see Hayes in his highchair!}
This week the movers unloaded on Tuesday and Granddad stopped by to see us. Wednesday we unpacked and realized we had an abundance of stuff! We also had lunch at Daniel's hospital after we signed all of our paperwork for the house..DONE!! Thursday we toured a preschool and made our 1st trip to HEB. We also got lucky and stumbled upon storytime at the library. It was fun and the kids liked it. Emmaline picked out a big Princess novel. She was so into it and didn't want to put it down. We have been trying to read a few chapters a night.
{If you look closely HB's curl is alive and kickin'..the humidity is making mine, Gs and Hayes curl/frizz a bit!} Friday we attended a Mommy and Me class where as E says "the kids got to cook and the parents just watched! That was so fun!" They loved it. It was structured/unstructured playtime. It is also where we will go to MOPS so it was nice to meet some of the moms there. I have already ran into one of the moms out and about since then! Granddad and Daniel both stopped by shortly after we got home and then the kids napped. Daniel was home by 5 for the weekend! It was a good week!
We spent our 1st night here Monday on couch cushions and blow up matresses. It was loud...the dogs claws on the wood floors and tile went click clack click clack. I was annoyed! I like carpet..I do..walking on it when I get out of bed is my preference..But I do like the way wood and tile look so it's kindof a love/hate relationship. The only carpet in the house is in the kids' bedrooms and it's grimy but I wish I has some in mine. Oh well.
{playroom} So far I love most things about the house. I'm realizing having less space with better storage shelves/options is more efficient than just lots of room. We don't want to put too much money into this house since we are renting so that is tricky.
I love all the windows and natural light here. It is a nice, quiet neighborhood and the kids have room to ride their bikes and scooters in the circle drive. I also love our covered patio that is gated so the kids can run wild and it keeps the dogs in or out!
Those are huge things to me. We got cable and DVR so I am surviving. I also love our tv in the kitchen.
We haven't eaten out once since we have been here. I am dying for some Mexican food..dying! Daniel comes home at lunch and throughout the day. It's nice but sorta surprising. HA! He will call to say he's leaving work and walk in the door before I have a chance to make our bed or do any quick cleaning. He's fast! I guess that's what 1 mile means. We also have a HEB about a 1/4 mile from our house.
Things are slow and steady and quiet around here (here meaning RGV). I will mention something about how things are slow and laid back and whoever I am speaking to will say, "That's the Valley!" (in a real slow tone)
It feels like we are taking a vacation from our lives. We are still 'working' but it's at a more relaxed pace. I am loving it so far. It may get old at some point but I believe it is just what God knew we needed in our lives. Our babies are growing way too fast and I am hoping (if I can stay sane long enough) to enjoy this time with them and get to know them better.
I really wanted to go to the beach this weekend. We actually had plans though! Our neighbors (and semi-friends of Daniel's) invited us over for a BBQ. Daniel and Pepe (he's Italian) attended St. Thomas together and Daniel's dad taught Pepe. He graduated before Daniel was in highschool but their families are friends. Anyways, he lives like 5 houses down and around the corner and they are good friends with their neighbors. We met 3 couples and 7 kids. They made a hole turned into a gate through their backyard fences to each others houses! They had trampolines, swings, 4-wheelers, beer and country music! Is there anything else I need to tell you so you know we had fun?!? Thought not! We stayed until the girls were passing out snuggled up to their son Finn and HB was snoring in my lap. We counted how long it took us to drive home..we barely made it to 20. FUN!
We had a birthday party today at Mr. Gattis and a Chinese New Years Party next weekend. The girls had a blast at the party and got the biggest party favors I have ever seen. I met another mom who attends MOPS and the Mommy and Me class. Still looking for friends but hope to meet some more people this week!
So far, the Valley has been good to us!

No comments: