Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sam's 70th Birthday and a book of letters!

Today is Sam's (Daniel's dad) 70th Birthday! What a milestone! Daniel flew to Houston to attend the birthday dinner. He also helped put together a great slideshow of photos and memories for the party. Me and the kids hated to miss it, but with school starting and the long drive we decided to stay home. We will be celebrating with him this week! I read about an neat idea on Pinterest (where else!?) for a memorable gift. I thought about who I wanted to give it to and knew my father-in-law was the perfect person! I sent out letters and emails to friends and family asking for their help in creating a book of letters, photos, etc. that I would give to him. This picture is of Daniel and Sam..Daniel reminds me so much of Hayes! Here is a part of the letter I sent out. Dear Family & Friends, We are writing to you because at some point over the years you have played a special role in Sam Listi’s life. As you may know, Sam’s birthday is coming up on August 19 and he is turning 70 years old. We want to give him a gift that is unique and unforgettable and that is where you will help us out. We are asking you to write a letter to Sam that can be a story, fond memories or anything that reminds you of Sam Listi. The letter can be short, funny, serious, long, etc. Please send us a handwritten letter or an email which can be addressed to Sam by August 4, 2012 so that we can begin to put together the book of letters for his actual birthday gift. And if you ever wondered where Hayes gets the white hair...! The project was a big success and received so many letters and pictures and articles. Sam was gifted them in a box last night and I am told loved them! I am so glad! I knew that he would appreciate this gift most. Because of the timing of everything I was unable to make the book so that is something I am going to collaborate with him on. I envision it to be sort of a hard back book with pictures and letters scanned in, like a blog book. I will update the blog with picutes of it when it is complete!Here is Sam with Tony and his new grandson, Samuel Anthony, the kids new cousin! He's a cutie!!

No comments: