Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hunting Birthday Weekend

Daniel's birthday is smack dab in the throws of hunting season and football season for that matter. For a few years now, this will be our 3rd year, we have gotten together with our families in South Padre Island and spent the weekend hunting, beaching and celebrating birthdays! We always love this time together but this year was different because we live so close to the island so it doesn't seem like such a vacation, ya know what I mean? This is a crazy week for our family - birthdays galore - soon to be 1/2 of my family will celebrate their birthdays within 1 week of eachother. Fun times. Not only is it Daniel, Georgia and Hayes' birthday weekend, it's my Dad's too. He got to spend his actual birthday, the 1st, in Dallas at Cowboy Stadium watching Alabama kill Michigan...In a suite..We missed out! I did get a fun t-shirt from the game though!! So back to our Padre party weekend..it started on Friday technically, but the real fun began when we were supposed to close on our new house on Monday, the same day that Daniel was flying out for the week to Chicago for work. I knew it wasn't going to happen on time and that his trip was going to be an issue. What can I say, I have a mother's intuition even being this new and all to the whole mother-thing..5.5 years is new, right? I did at least move the kids' pirate party to the following Friday instead of trying to squeeze it in on the same weekend. That was a hard decision..seriously, I wrestled with it for some reason. I'm stubborn. Daniel left for the week. I was tired before his plane took off! He was scheduled to return on Friday at 3:45 and his Mom, Thomas & Stephen and their 2 dogs were arriving around the same time! The week goes on, not so bad really, and we do our thing, which includes low key dinner and long baths. Thursday was our 1st MOPS meeting, so I was busy on Wednesday prepping for that and Thursday since I'm on Steering. Sam came and stayed Tuesday night, since he flew in late, which was nice since I rather have another adult in the house over night. The week went by pretty quickly and without any real issues. Thursday afternoon I get a call from our Title Company (since we still hadn't closed) asking if we would be there in the morning to finalize it all and sign. "UMMMM, No! Daniel is out of town and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. Yes, I'm sure. He would have told me if he was coming home and changed his flight. I will get in touch with him and get back with you!"Yeah, I felt stupid when I finally hear from Daniel who WAS on a flight already to come home so we could close the next morning. I had no idea. He said he was trying to surprise me. Well, he did. But at least we closed with no penalties, though nothing was our fault. The McLeans helped us out at USAA and all is done! Back to our weekend. Friday night we went out to eat at the Longhorn with the Gees. It is yummy BBQ and the banana pudding is great! We spent that night baking cupcakes for the party the next day and opening presents. Saturday we woke up early, packed the car and headed to the island. We spent the morning at the beach with our new cousin Samuel.Lunchtime we had plans for the birthday party at Tom and Jerry's. My parents flew in and arrived at that time. We had Tony, Brandi and Samuel and Stephen. Shelly, Charlie and the other 3 cousins were there (and I have to say our kids love them...they hang all over them!!), and all the grandparents were there! We sang Happy Birthday to G, HB, Daniel and my Dad, ate lunch, opened some gifts and watched football. The kids got Dream Lites Pillow Pets and they love them. Our room was lit up all night long! Before long it was time for the guys to head for the hunting lease. Me and the kids went and took naps at the room and watched the heartbreaking Aggie game against Florida. For their 1st game of the season and SEC opener I think they did wonderful, just couldn't hold on til the end. We met Ashley, Samuel, Shelly and Brandi at the pool then on to the beach for the afternoon. My mom and Sherry joined us. It was nice to get to chat while the kids played for hours. We even ate dinner by the pool and didn't head back to the room until 9:45. The next morning we met for breakfast at Yummies and enjoyed their hot chocolate, apple wheat pancakes and cheese grits! We packed up quickly and headed home after that. It was a really short little trip for us, but nice to not have a long drive. Sunday, we showed the grandparents around the new house, the guys hunted and I did some birthday shopping by myself while the grandmas played card games and babysat. We cooked dove and fish for dinner and ate my homemade key lime pie I made for Daniel, recipe from the Pioneer Woman. Monday morning me, Daniel and my dad hit the road back to the island for our deepsea fishing trip while my mom watched the kids. That was a long but fruitful day, meant for another post. Thanks to everyone for coming so far to be with us and help us celebrate our family's birthdays. The kids had a blast getting to be with everyone and be spoiled by all the attention! We love ya'll and hope to keep the tradition going next year!

No comments: