Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I should've ______ but instead _______.

Yesterday was a monumental day for our family, namely Georgia!
She had the BIGGEST, LOUDEST tantrum ever seen before.. I'm sure if you were at La Cantera yesterday afternoon you know exactly what I'm talking about!
Most of you weren't so I'm going to tell you how it all went down by playing a little game called 'I should've _____ but instead ______.'

I should've kept her strapped in the stroller but instead I allowed her to walk.
I should've let Emmaline give her 'her seat' back when she offered but instead I made E sit there to teach Georgia a lesson on sharing.
I should've just turned around and high-tailed it home at the first high pitched squeal but instead I was determined to finish my shopping.
I should've taken her to the bathroom and spanked her but instead I tried the ol' "I'm leaving now, you need to come on" which only fueled her anger.
I should've called security over to deal with this 'lost child' but instead I claimed her as mine. (ok, so maybe not this one, but I sure considered it)
I should've given the security guard a dirty look but instead just ignored the fact that he followed me to my car and sat and watched as I put them in their seats (not sure if he thought I was stealing her or worried I would beat her senseless but he never said a word).
I should've never thought going to the mall after a school day was a good idea but instead was selfish and went for it anyway. (the get short naps those days and it shows..Emmaline actually fell asleep on the way home)

Seriously I have never experienced a child get this worked up..she was fire mad, red-faced..I thought her head might explode for a while there. She was throwing things, pushing things, throwing herself on the ground and screaming in different ranges and octaves. People were literally stopped in their tracks and would simply turn their bodies around to watch as she made her way through the mall. Of course it was a gorgeous day so it was crowded! Not a single person said a word to me, not a single look of "I'm sorry for you" or anything.
This picture was taken on a different day during a different tantrum!I kept foolishly thinking it would end, she would get tired of it and just walk quietly. I tried to carry her but that was an even uglier site. Unfortunately, when we got to the road I had to carry her for her safety. The sun was beating down on us, Hayes was crying at this point because of the longevity of the tantrum and I had G with my left arm around her waist with her body flailing around because she didn't want to be held. We were all sweating, I thought I would drop her and I was trying to push my stroller with my right hand. All the while the guard was following us. It was amazing. I would smile, laugh, frown a bit, ignore them..what can you do? I would love to say I won the battle, but I'm not really sure that's the case. G didn't really seem to care. She told Daddy when he asked what happened at the mall, "I was crying". That was it! So onward goes the quest for how I will continue to handle tantrums. And I thought I needed the book "Strong-willed Child" for Emmaline! Ha, I was confused!

I should've ate more for dinner that night but instead washed the pain away with beer and red velvet cake balls!

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Oh dear! Sometimes it is so hard to pick your battles, kids are so strong-willed.