Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Cut Above the Rest!

Friday morning, almost to the blessed weekend, Daniel swishes back into the bedroom before leaving. I leaned his way for a kiss, my eyes still closed but I got this down to a T so I know where to lean for the goods even when I'm half asleep, and instead hear a crash on my nightstand. Startled a bit, I hear him say, "The girls were cutting their hair. Here!" And I look over to see the blue 'safety scissors' I had left out. Super way to start the day!
{before}
I don't get out of bed right away because now I had the scissors and what else more could they really do? You see, I HATE MORNINGS. Almost any morning you will find me curled up in bed with 3 pillows (if I'm trully comfortable - 2 if I'm staying somewhere random and don't want to seem needy and really 1 is not sufficient for me)trying to squeeze out the last few moments of the night. If I can 'sleep in' til 8 I am happy. Even if I get woken up, I am not one of those that can't fall back asleep...oh, just give me a moment and I'll be out again or at least I'll pretend I am. I think years ago I tricked my body into thinking I was sleeping so I could survive motherhood. If I am lying down and my eyes are shut in a semi-dark room, I feel like I am getting rest.
OK, so I didn't dash out of bed to see the massacre of hair everywhere..I knew they would come to me..they always do! And soon enough there they were, climbing into Daddy's spot, giggling and asking for breakfast. I ask them about their new hair-dos. And before they answer I tell them that however short it is that is how short that I am going to cut all their hair off to. E slides off the bed wailing with tears and snot and uneven hair to her room (which is WAY TOO CLOSE to ours). G doesn't really understand what I mean.
So I get out of bed, grab HB up and snuggle him, cause he has done no wrong, and head off to the kitchen. While we eat, I ask the girls about the cutting of the hair. Emmaline is over her tears by now and Georgia is still not really saying much. I curse myself in my head because I had left out the art bin on the table (and even thought in my head that they wouldn't do anything bad with the scissors). I even had this conversation with a friend from MOPS about their hair.."I don't want to cut it, I love it long, but it's so hard to do, it's always tangled."
I ask Georgia what happened and she tells me that E had cut her hair. She didn't cut anyone's hair. It's pretty apparent that's the truth. Her hair is much worse off and E's is just snipped a few inches shorter here and there. G has a new cowlick look in the back and some nice layers in the front. I reminded them we were going to get their hair cut and it would short. I told E hers would be the shortest since she did the cutting. She was sad it would look like a boy's, like Hayes! Then, in true Emmaline attitude, she said she actually wanted a new haircut and wanted it to be easy to brush. She loves to turn things around!
Later on, we were cleaning up the playroom and I keep finding more and more blonde hair. I found a wad of it hid between the couch cushions. It made me sad to see all that sweet blonde hair! I seriously said a prayer it wasn't Hayesmans. I would have been furious!
{after}
So anyway, we eventually made our way to the salon and the girls got about 6 inches off at least. It is still plenty long and looks pretty! G's lady did a good job 'framing' her face.
It was bound to happen and it finally did..who knows if this will be the last time, but I will try and keep the scissors hidden. I will probably not be getting up any earlier in the morning though.

No comments: