Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Punta Cana - dia tres - "Wedding of the Century"

The day was Friday, February 24, 2012. It was finally time for the "Wedding of the Century" per Facebook. Michael and Rachel's big day had finally arrived, but the celebrating was already in full swing as expected!
We woke up wishing to sleep in a little longer, but knowing that we must get out of bed and rally. I was a part of the Bridal Entourage and Daniel was just a part of the beach party!
The wedding party (sort of-her sister, Sarah, was the only one in the wedding, but we were supporters!) girls got strict orders to be at the Eden pool to hang out, have a few mimosas and rest for the morning. I believe that is where I got really sunburned on my feet. I just layed there in a daze for a while and didn't think twice about the sun. It was so pleasant out. Oh well, I am still peeling, but it doesn't hurt to wear sandals anymore!
After we left our girl time, I met up with Daniel at the beach and we headed off to get some lunch. After some sub-par buffet food we ended up back at the beach for the remainder of the afternoon before we rushed to ready ourselves for the ceremony! There were lots of drinks and lots of great conversations with friends. It was one of my favorite afternoons because it was so low-key and just great to spend quality time with old friends telling stories and making new memories. That is what I call vacation!
We had to tear ourselves away from the palm trees, crashing waves and palapa bar to get ready for the wedding. I rushed as usual and we made it out of the room in time! As soon as we turn the corner we see RAIN! OH NO....they were getting married on the actual beach...I had flashbacks of my wedding 6 years prior..being moved from the beach to the gazebo. So we hop on the trolley and make our way towards Ipanema Beach.
We get there and are the only ones...Hmmmm...I'm about to get off the trolley and drop my phone in the puddle of water (trying to text peeps to see where they were at) and I freak a bit because I didn't want it to break and I seriously, I kid you not, face plant off the trolley as my shoe slips. No worries, I didn't spill my drink! But my hair, dress and body was wet, covered in sand and there was blood. NICE! Before Daniel could blink (or help me) I was swaddled in a warm towel and surrounded by 3 resort workers asking me if I was ok. I was, maybe a bit embarrassed and annoyed, doing fine. I really thought my dress was going to be ruined, but it was dry within minutes and besides the bloodly knees and ankle no one knew I had fallen. It was a wedding miracle! And my phone was rescued!
So we find out that the ceremony is indeed switched to the nearby gazebo and we get a drink to wait it out. The ceremony begins and it is gorgeous. I have to say that John Paul (one of Michael's oldest best friends) did a wonderful job marrying them. He told some stories, talked about their personalities and them as a couple. I was impressed!
My dad and her sister stood up for them and we got to pelt them with rose petals as they walked out! A few notes to remember, when the boys (JP, Michael & my dad) they walked in to the music of 'The Good, the Bad & the Ugly' - you know, wah wah wah...like they were walking to a shoot out.
It was hilarious and Daniel and I had brought the "That's mayhem" sign I got from the National Championship game and he just had to wave it during that time. It was perfect timing, though!
So, we had a champagne toast and took a trillion pictures. Then we trolleyed over to the reception area, a roof top outdoor area with different food stations. Rachel's bouquet was gorgeous..she made it out of brooches she gathered from friends and family. They had their 1st dance, we signed a neat map of the DR with well wishes, the boys smoked cigars, people toasted to Mr. & Mrs. Stevens.
We also got to watch the sun (no longer rain) go down over the beautiful ocean and dance the night away! The "that's mayhem" sign made an appearance a few more times and we took plenty of good luck Mamajuana shots!
After Nut needed a time out (nap) in the bathroom downstairs of the reception, we all decided we had to continue the dance craze we had started! I am telling you, there was dancing! Guys had routines that had been previously perfected and the girls were getting low!
It was hilarious and serious.. Eventually we took over a karaoke bar with our group of about 50 people. It was a little cramped! We sang, we drank, we cheersed (is that how you spell it?) and then we did it again!
Nut ended up needed a little longer nap and decided to take it on the table..but oops, he missed the table and fell to the ground, taking with him the table, 5 drinks on it and 2 chairs! It was quite the crash..and we all just stared at him...some poor good samaritan thought this was not normal for him and rushed to see if he was breathing and ok...he was fine..a few bruises, but that was the end of his night! {That may be too much info for most of you, but I just want to remember the trip as it happened}
It was a wonderful day and night! I am so happy to have another fun sister in law in the family! Poor Michael and Rachel had to be up at 9 am at the beach dressed in their wedding attire for the Trash the Dress pics..they were exhausted from them, but they turned out amazing!!

No comments: